May 8, 2013 § Leave a Comment
I recently met with one of my newest Pure Design clients. Her style is eclectic & she’s not afraid to push the envelope. However, she needed fresh perspectives for her master bath. It’s easy to get overwhelmed when coming up with new ideas for your own living spaces. So she asked me to take on the project & the theme I created was “Bohemian Chic“.
My client is in love with ikat fabrics, a timeless textile design that is ultra current right now. She’s also not afraid to mix & match textures, colors & pattern. A designer’s dream!
So this is what I came up with. The color scheme is yet to be determined but I wanted to show the idea of mixing patterns & colors. I want to use the “blush bird” towel as a jumping off point for not only the color scheme but a playful effect. I proposed reupholstering the vanity chair & and adding touches of mercury glass & brass throughout. I added this mirror into the scheme to show reclaimed wood elements that will more than likely be incorporated.
Design by Pure Design
What’s on trend right now? Fresco towels, honeycomb patterns and mixing metal finishes. I’ll save color for another post!
May 3, 2013 § 2 Comments
Modern Cupcake was where I did some of my best baking. I’ll toot my horn & say that my cupcakes are divine. The icing just melts in your mouth & the cake, oh the cake is so very moist. Many people ask, “how do you do it?” So I decided to share some baking tips that might help you along the way.
Photo by Jessica Downey Photo
- Always make sure your butter, eggs & buttermilk are at room temperature. This will allow the ingredients to fully incorporate when mixed.
- I prefer to make my own buttermilk. Take 1 Cup of Vitamin D milk (room temperature), remove 1 Tbsp. of milk & replace with 1 Tbsp of vinegar. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Always add your extract in at the time the eggs are incorporated. Adding the extract at this time locks the flavor into the batter.
- Use an ice cream scoop to place batter in each liner. This creates consistent sized cupcakes.
- Never over beat your batter. If you do, the cake will become dry. It takes a little finesse & time to find your groove but it definitely can be done. I go by the way the batter looks. Stop right when you think the batter is finally mixed.
- Once the cupcakes are the in the oven do not open the oven door until the timer goes off.
- When the cupcakes are done leave them in the pan for a minute or two to let them set up before taking them out.
- Allow the cupcakes to fully cool before enclosing them in an air tight container. This will help prevent the liners from separating from the cake.
- Always sift your powdered sugar before mixing into the icing. If you don’t do this you will never get the lumps out.
- Practice with your pastry bag & tips on a sheet of parchment paper. You can always scoop the icing back into the bag if you need more practice.
- A silicone bowl scraper is my best friend when scooping icing out of the mixing bowl into the pastry bag.
- Do not refrigerate your cupcakes. This will dry them out.
I hope these tips are helpful. Happy baking & enjoy!
April 24, 2013 § Leave a Comment
Greetings my friends! You’ve been greatly missed! You are probably wondering why my blog has been so quiet? I had grandiose plans of returning much sooner but life got a whole lot crazier with a new little one. I’ve enjoyed watching my little ones grow & change. They provide me with such a deep joy. So that’s what I’ve been lovingly consumed with. It’s a good thing!
And so I’ve been asked many times…when are you going to start blogging again & are you re-opening Modern Cupcake? The answer is “oui” – the “A Lifestyle Craving” blog is going to become part of my weekly schedule and “non” – Modern Cupcake is not going to re-open at this time. I’ve decided to hang up my apron & bid Modern Cupcake an “adieu” for now. Believe me when I say that I will greatly miss baking delicious cakes for those who appreciate them most!
Photo by: A Lifestyle Craving / Pure Design, LLC
So now what? Well, I’ve owned Pure Design, an interior design business for about 8 years. I would take on a design project here & there. And now my business has become so much more. There are a lot of opportunities on the horizon & I’m ready for it. This isn’t a life altering change for me because as you know design is a big part of who I am. I’m passionate about color, texture & beautiful, yet functional spaces.
As we head into the summer months I will be sharing more of my projects. I hope you decide to stay & share this ride with me. Stay tuned!
April 27, 2012 § 7 Comments
Many of you have been wondering where has Modern Cupcake been & where are her blog posts? What happened to her ‘Birthday List” of trapeze lessons, champagne marshmallows & picnics in the park? Well, life has changed up a bit & many of those things had to be temporarily placed on the back burner.
I was just days away from joining my friend Grace at the trapeze school when I realized I wasn’t feeling quite right. Come to find out another little one would be joining our family! The news was music to our ears!
This pregnancy has done a number on me. I’ve been sick since January. But as of late, my feet are back under me & I’m ready to join the blogging world again among other things. I’m back!
So where does Modern Cupcake go from here? The blog name has been changed to “A Lifestyle Craving”. I thought my tagline was a much more fitting name for the blog. A Lifestyle Craving is about daydreaming and recreating an idea in your own living space. So I’m here to continue to inspire using places I love, ingredients I savor & design I appreciate.
Won’t you join me on this new adventure?
P.S. Are you wondering what we’re having? The color of the pram should provide a clue!
March 20, 2012 § Leave a Comment
Springtime is among us & so is the BLOG. I’m returning to the blog beginning in April. I’ve missed writing, creating & interacting with my loyal readers. ”A Lifestyle Craving” by Modern Cupcake is the new name. I think it’s much more appropriate for what I want to share with each of you.
Photo Via Dreamy Whites
Aside from the new name will come a fresh format. I’m excited to express thoughts, inspiring ideas, places, design, recipes, and so on. Be sure to join me in April!
January 13, 2012 § 12 Comments
Friday, Jan 13th is a very good day! It’s my birthday today & I’m celebrating all throughout. It began with a giggle – tickle session with my little one & husband in bed. And today will end on a very sweet note when my two favorite people, my husband & little one bake me a lemon birthday cake avec lemon frosting.
My husband has baked me a lemon cake for as long as we’ve been together which amounts to quite a few cakes. I think it’s so endearing not to mention it’s one of my favorite gifts each year. Yes, the cake is delicious, but it’s his act of doing that melts my heart. And now that my little one is old enough to participate, it’s doubly sweet!
This weekend & through the remainder of the month many more celebrations are in order. I truly look forward to celebrating with the people I love most & sharing new birthday experiences with them!
January 6, 2012 § Leave a Comment
I’m in a Parisienne sort of mood today. A visual post for your pleasure. Have a fabulous Friday & a relaxing weekend!
Now off to French class…